What is a car decal? How is a decal applied to a car surface?
A car decal is a sticker that is applied to the outside of a car and serves as a decorative element. Thanks to decals, you can make your car stand out and show your uniqueness. Such decals last 2-3 years, then they can fade due to washing and wear.
It would be natural to ask what the difference is between ordinary stickers and decals.
We will now talk about the differences between them.
Stickers and decals are both stickers. They just differ from each other, because they are different types of stickers.
In the past, stickers were only paper. With the development of technology, we learned how to make them from both polyester and vinyl - these materials are much stronger than paper, so they last longer.
Stickers have always been decorative elements that allowed you to express yourself and your uniqueness, and at the same time decorate the thing on which the sticker is applied. Want to show your interests? Stickers will help you make it colorful and bright.
A sticker usually has two parts. The first part is the top decorative layer, which has a pattern applied to it and an adhesive layer on the back so that the sticker can be easily and well applied. The second part is a special kind of paper on the back, which protects the adhesive layer from premature use.
Decals are also a type of decorative sticker that creates the desired appearance of an object. They last about as long as stickers, even a little longer, about 3-4 years when used outdoors.
We said earlier that stickers have two parts, but unlike them, decals have three parts - a special king of paper on the back, a nice decorative layer, and paper on the front.
Decals are usually made, just like stickers, from vinyl or transparent polyester. They are printed on a color thermal printer, using latex inks and other environmentally friendly solvents.
How is a decal applied to a car surface?
To apply a decal, you need to follow a few simple, but important steps.
Of course, it is better to have confidence and experience in applying decals.
But if you do not have it, do everything carefully and confidently according to the steps below:
- Before applying the decal, you need to clean the surface of the car with soap and water. It is absolutely necessary to remove all dirt and dust, because it can get stuck on the glue layer of the decal, and because of this the decal will bubble up and stick incorrectly to the surface. Do not use any special window cleaner or similar products, as they can prevent the decal from adhering to the surface. The best remedies are simply soap and water.
- Then, prepare the decal itself for application. You need to take the card and forcefully go over the entire length of the decal. That is, as if rubbing the decal with the card. This is to get out all the bubbles that may have previously appeared during shipping, and to ensure that the tape sticks to the image for a better transfer of the image.
- The next step is to remove the paper layer from the decal to expose the adhesive layer. You should remove this paper slowly. If the decal is large, have a second person help you hold the decal so that it doesn't inadvertently shrink or stick in advance where it shouldn't.
- After that, you can glue the decal on the target surface of your car. You will also need to use a card and apply the decal gradually, rubbing it into the surface the same way you previously rubbed the surface to remove bubbles. Rub the decal firmly into the target surface and let it rest for a couple of minutes before proceeding to the next step.
- After the sticker has rested on the surface for a couple of minutes, you can go over it again with the card on top and proceed to remove the paper from the front of the decal. The outer paper should be removed very slowly, at an angle. At this stage, be most careful and cautious. If you accidentally start to tear off the decorative layer of the decal, stop, repeat the previous step, and then carefully proceed with the removal of the front paper again. If the paper comes off badly on one side, you can try doing it carefully on the other side.
The most important plus of decals is that they can be removed without damaging the surface of the car
Decals combine two apparently contradictory facts. They have a very strong adhesive layer, which allows them to last 3-4 years, but at the same time they are quite easy to remove from the surface of the car if you need to do it.
This is the main plus of decals, compared to other types of car decoration.
For example, staining is an expensive decorating technique that is not easy to replace and can be long and tedious.
Hiring professionals to apply or remove decals
If you are worried that you will not be able to apply decals well to the target surface of your car, then you can call professionals who have experience with applying decals. They can help you in this matter.
Where to buy car decals?
Online store Natalexauto.com has a large selection of car stickers and decals. Over the years, we have built a reputation in the automotive accessories industry.
We serve a wide range of clients around the world, owners of any car brands.